Unlike frozen meat, meat in the refrigerator will become unsafe to eat if you let it sit too long. Here are our general guidelines on how long food is good for in a 40ºF refrigerator:
- Beef Steaks & Roasts | 2 – 4 days
- Ground Beef | 1 – 2 days
- Pork Chops & Roasts | 2 to 3 days
- Fresh Sausages | 2 to 3 days
- Cooked or Smoked Sausages | 4 to 6 weeks in a vacuum sealed package from LGCM, 3 – 7 days once opened.
- Ham & Bacon | 4 to 6 weeks in a vacuum sealed package from LGCM, 3 – 7 days once opened.
- Whole Chickens & Turkeys | 1 – 2 days
- Chicken Breasts | 3 – 5 days in a vacuum sealed package from LGCM, eat immediately once open.
- Sliced deli meats | 3 – 5 days
Refrigerated food can spoil faster or slower, based on your refrigerator. If food smells off, do not take a risk; throw the meat out. To make sure your properly stored food is safe to eat, always cook the food to recommended temperatures.