We love our BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos recipe because, first of all, we love tacos, but also because this is a great recipe to use up leftover pulled pork, which we always seem to have after we make pulled pork!
We wrote this recipe to include the steps of cooking a pork shoulder in a slow cooker to use for these tacos, but if you have leftover pulled pork from your smoker or any other cooking method, you can use that pork too.
These BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos are definitely not a traditional taco, but they are super yummy, and the flavors are friendly for both kids and adults. These tacos are also terrific to serve at a taco bar at your next party!
BBQ Pulled Pork tacos are super easy to make, but we do want to share a little bit more information about this recipe and suggest some twists to the base recipe. If you’re ready to get cooking, scroll down to the ingredients, otherwise, check out these tips!
How do you season your pork?
We like using Custom Culinary Pork Barbeque Spice to season our pork shoulder for these BBQ Pulled Pork tacos. It’s a delicious combination of savory and sweet flavors with just a touch of spice. You can find the seasoning in our store.
After the pork is cooked, we then shred it and toss it in barbecue sauce. There are so many great barbecue sauces out there, so use your favorite!
Of course, you can use any barbecue rub or sauce you like for these tacos. If you’re a fan of spicy tacos, using a spiced-up rub would be a great way to bring a touch of heat to this dish!
If you’re not smoking the pork but like smoky flavor, try a barbecue sauce or rub that has smokey notes to it, and you’ll bring that “fresh off the smoker” flavor to these tacos without having to use a smoker!
How do you top these BBQ Pulled Pork tacos?
We combined traditional sides and toppings for both tacos and barbecue together to assemble these BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos. Here’s what we used:
- Avocado slices – they bring freshness and rich flavor that’s great with barbecue pork!
- Coleslaw – use your favorite store-bought slaw that you’d serve with barbecue, make your favorite recipe, or try this delicious Mexican Cabbage Slaw recipe!
- Chopped cilantro – a bit of fresh cilantro on top of these tacos is a great counterpoint to the rich pork.
- Queso fresco – shredded cheddar cheese like you’d use on American-style tacos is just wrong for this recipe, but a little crumbled queso fresco is delicious!
- Quick pickled red onion – crunchy and great with both barbecue pork and Mexican-style tacos, follow this recipe to have your own quick pickled onions!
We didn’t think of it when we cooked these, but a little roasted corn would also be a delicious addition to these tacos!
Do you have more taco recipes?
Of course we do! From traditional taco recipes to hybrid recipes like this BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos, we have plenty for you to try. Check them all out here.
We hope we’ve made this BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos recipe super clear and laid out all your options. If you have feedback, or more questions, be sure to leave us a comment below.
Thanks for checking out this recipe and we’ll see you soon at Lake Geneva Country Meats – cheers!
- 3 lb Boneless Pork Shoulder Roast
- BBQ Rub (your favorite)
- BBQ Sauce (your favorite)
- 1 cup Chicken Broth (or water or Mexican beer)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 16 Tortillas (corn or flour – warmed)
- 1 Avocado (for topping tacos – pitted and thinly sliced)
- Coleslaw (for topping tacos)
- Cilantro (chopped – for topping tacos)
- Queso Fresco
- Red Onion (for tacos – quick pickled, recipe is above)
Rub pork shoulder roast all over with Pork BBQ spice and place into your slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth (or other liquid) until it covers the bottom of your slow cooker (you may need more or less than 1 cup), add the diced onion.
Cook on low for 8 hours until the roast is falling apart and tender.
Remove the roast from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred meat into bite sizes pieces. Place the meat in a bowl and pour in BBQ sauce to your taste. Mix until the meat is coated with BBQ sauce.
Warm your tortillas and assemble your tacos by adding a helping of pork, followed by avocado, coleslaw, pickled red onion, and topped with queso fresco and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with more sauce if you like.
Enjoy your BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos!