Ropa vieja is a traditional dish in Cuba, and throughout the Caribbean. This yummy dish consists of shredded beef with a richly flavored tomato sauce and slow cooked vegetables. The dish can be braised, or cooked in an oven, but for ease, we like to make the dish in a slow cooker. Serve the meat over rice, and have black beans on the side to complete the dish. Enjoy!
- 1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (~14 oz can – we like fire roasted for flavor)
- 3 Tbsp Ketchup (but normal is fine.)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 clove Garlic
- 3 Bell Pepper (minced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup Sliced Pimiento Peppers (use same color)
- 2 Tbsp Salt (or 3 different colors)
- 1 Tbsp Paprika (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Leahy’s Angus Beef Flank Steak
- 3 Tbsp Green Olives
- Cilantro (omit for less spicy flavor)
- Lime (2 – 2.5# size)
Add all ingredients except flank steak and olives to a 5-6 quart slow cooker, and stir to combine. Place the flank steak on top, put the cover on, and cook for 8 hours on low.
After 8 hours, remove the flank steak, and shred with 2 forks. Add the shredded meat and olives to the slow cooker, and stir. Serve over rice with cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice on top. Enjoy!